Sunday, January 10, 2010

VA "Savage Sounds of South Africa"



Took me a while to find any information on the web about this release, in fact I can't even remember where I got it from originally. Nabbed the tracklisting off Paradise of Garage Comps (outstanding blog, check them out)... Van Morrison's Them, John E. Sharpe and the Squires and The Zeroes figure most prominently. The Upsetters take on Otis Redding's "Pain in my Heart," The Zeroes tackle The Who's "I Can't Explain."

Side note: Why is Them on this comp? Pretty sure they were from Belfast (Wiki agrees). I'm not fully convinced the tracks are really Them and not covers. Speaking of covers... cover songs from obscure South African garage bands of R&B classics like "Pain in my Heart" begs the question: why wouldn't I just listened to the inimitable Otis?

Most of this music was locked down and little heard outside of Apartheid South Africa until recently. For collectors and enthusiast of classic garage rock, "Savage Sounds of South Africa" is a great listen. I decided to go ahead and share the whole record, rather than a few select tracks. Link below.

Side 1
1 Them - One Time Too Many
2 The Zeroes - Work All Day (Sleep All Night)
3 Beau Brummel - Someone To Love
4 John E. Sharpe and The Squires - Yours For The Picking
5 Group '66 - I Know About Love
6 Them - I Want To Be Rich Again
7 The Gonks - Woman Yeah
8 The Shangaans - Yeh Girl
9 The Upsetters - Pain In My Heart

Side 2
1 The Hobos - If I Ever Saw You
2 Them - It's A Day
3 Birds Of A Feather - Come On Up
4 The In-Crowd - Come Back
5 The Difference - I Wonder Why
6 John E. Sharpe and The Squires - Monkey Shine
7 The Shangaans - Liwa Wechi (Lee-wa Weck-ee)
8 The Zeroes - I Can't Explain
9 John E. Sharpe and The Squires - I'll Explain

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment