Monday, January 18, 2010

Billy Cobham "Spectrum"



Sorry for the late posting - expect to see this every Sunday. Don't expect me to be in Vegas every weekend wasting all my money on roulette. Either way here's this week's Yo...


Billy Cobham is a beast. He was one of the first jazz/fusion drummers to start playing open handed lead (meaning he starts beats or fills with either hand, allowing him to dance all over the drumset with ease). Cobham played on one of my favorite Miles Davis records Live-Evil, started Mahavishnu Orchestra with fellow Davis-alum John McLaughlin, then moved on and did some solo stuff. If it was 70s and fusion and had killer beats, Cobham was probably laying down those rhythms.

Spectrum was Cobham's first solo record, with Jan Hammer (also of Mahavishnu fame) on keys and Tommy Bolin (Deep Purple) on guitar. To say this record is "jazz" would be somewhat correct but it feels more like improvised rock n roll.

The track I shared here, "Searching for the Right Door / Spectrum," starts off with a pretty amazing drum solo. Then Cobham drops what may be one of the sickest backbeats I've ever heard. I get chills when I hear this fucking beat. Hope you do too.




1. Quadrant 4
2. a. Searching for the Right Door b. Spectrum
3. a. Anxiety b. Taurian Matador
4. Stratus
5. a. To the Women in My Life b. Le Lis
6. a. Snoopy's Search b. Red Baron

Billy Cobham on wiki
Billy Cobham on itunes

No comments:

Post a Comment